Playtime isn’t just for your kids. Having fun is essential to your health and well-being at any age. When you’re enjoying yourself, you’re also reducing stress, increasing your energy levels, building stronger relationships, and promoting learning.
However, as a mom it’s not always easy to get goofy! Most of us moms have so much on our plates and so little time to get silly.
It can seem like every day we get through life barking orders at our family, being the commanding general (is that right) in our own little army. The to-do list runs the day as there are kids to rear, laundry to put away, activities to plan and places to go.
But what I’ve learned in my near decade of motherhood is that I have to make time for fun. Because the days are long (sometimes so freakin long) but the years are short. I’ve said it before and will say it again,.. these little faces of our children are just passing through. We need to enjoy them while they are here.
So let’s get silly! I asked twenty moms how they get more fun into their daily routine. Here’s what they shared! I hope you enjoy this list and are happy with your decision to goof-off on a regular basis. Take a look at these ideas to help you bring more recreation into each day.
Change Your Perspective:
1. Prioritize fun. Do you put off taking a break because you think you have too many responsibilities? Studies show that frequent breaks actually help you to accomplish more.
2. Enjoy small pleasures. Having fun doesn’t have to consume a lot of time or money. Watching cartoons with your kids or walking through a puddle can brighten your day without using up your savings or vacation days.
3. Look on the bright side. Maybe housework and boring meetings make it difficult for you to smile. Try to find a positive aspect to any situation. Do lunges while you vacuum and sit next to a colleague who makes you laugh.
4. Be spontaneous. Advance planning is optional. Sometimes it’s more amusing to surprise yourself.
5. Lighten up. If you’re concerned about looking mature and professional, keep in mind that others may like you more if you’re brave enough to show a little vulnerability. It may even help them to feel free to do the same.
Change Your Routine:
1. Listen up. Your favorite songs can put you in a sunny mood. Cue up some comedians on Pandora or the soundtrack from a movie you love.
2. Use your imagination. Indulge your creativity. Paint a picture or conduct safe science experiments in your kitchen with your kids. My boys and I love Steve Spangler of DIY Sci. Or if creating isn’t your thing, just get into some pretend play with your children and allow yourself to be little again.
3. Play games. Whether you prefer video games or board games, testing your skills can have important cognitive benefits. You may be increasing your hand-to-eye coordination, learning to solve problems, and boosting your memory. Even just five minutes playing apps like Peak or Elevate on your phone every day can do wonders for your cognitive ability. I love these apps because they have a set time limit and you can’t over-indulge and decrease productivity in your day.
5. Browse online. Bookmark websites that make you feel more light-hearted. Maybe videos of kittens and puppies, or your favorite song, motivational speakers, or a favorite pastor sermon. Just a couple of minutes can charge you up and change your day.
6. Move around. Active fun burns calories while you’re enjoying yourself. Dance at home, go on a bike ride with your kids or join a volleyball league at work.
7. Plan an outing. Make your weekends and vacation days more refreshing. Research interesting destinations to visit like strange museums and obscure monuments. Drink coffee at a cat cafe or sample sriracha cupcakes. Make a list of local places where you can sing karaoke, rent a kayak, or play miniature golf.
8. Have a laugh. Humor is healing. Tell your family amusing stories about what happened at work or ask them to share something fun from their day. Read a comic book or something else that makes you laugh. Or check out some hilarious mom quotes & memes that will seriously make you giggle.
9. Revisit your childhood. If you’re trying to come up with more ideas for having fun, explore your distant past. Think about what you liked to do as a child. You may find that climbing trees or baking cookies with your mother is still delightful.
10. Break your own rules. Be willing to bend your guidelines. Serve scrambled eggs and French Toast for dinner. Sign up for dancing instead of your usual spinning class.
11. Share the fun. Double your fun by sharing it with a friend or family member. Positive experiences and fond memories will draw you closer together.
Be serious about having fun. Taking time out to play enriches your life and can increase your productivity. Treat yourself to a fabulous time at least once a day. What will you do today? Share below one way you plan to fit fun into your day.