Cold and flu season can take its toll on your health, but cold and flu remedies are a great way to stay healthy this winter. From natural ingredients to over-the-counter medications, there is no shortage of cold and flu remedies that can help you fight off the winter cold or flu bug.
Recently our 10-year-old came down with the flu. We turned to cold and flu remedies such as rest, fluids, fever reducers and cold medicine. We also focused on boosting his immune system with plenty of vitamins, healthy food and supplements. That’s what gave me the idea for this post.
As moms, it can be challenging to know what to give our kids. I don’t know about you, but for me, I love it when other trusted moms can refer me to what’s working for their own families. That’s what inspired me to create this post for you.
This list of home remedies for cold and flu was created with the help of more than twenty moms with kids ranging in age from five up to sixteen. This list is not meant to treat, prevent or cure disease, but it’s simply what we’ve used in our homes with our children.
Here are 12 powerful cold and flu remedies to try this winter:
1. Water with Lemon: Lemon has long been used as a cold and flu remedy, as it helps to reduce inflammation and boost the immune system – just a few of the amazing benefits of lemon water. Add some freshly squeezed lemon juice to warm water for a cold and flu remedy that can also help you stay hydrated.
2. Tea: Herbal teas can be great cold and flu remedies. The warmth of the tea can help soothe sore throats and clear out sinuses, while the antioxidants in the herbs can fight off bacteria and viruses. Our favorites include Chamomile, Peppermint, Chocolate Peppermint, Ginger, or Green Tea
3. Bone Broth: Bone broth is made from simmering bones, vegetables, and herbs. It contains powerful immune-boosting nutrients like collagen, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. Bone broth can help reduce inflammation, boost immunity and fight colds and flu.
4. Load up on Vitamin C: Vitamin C helps strengthen the immune system’s ability to fight off viruses, making it one of the most effective cold and flu remedies available. Try taking a daily supplement of vitamin C to help ward off colds and flus. Liquid is best.
Our top choice is Dr. Mercola Liposomal Vitamin C, an advanced liposomal formula that provides superior absorption. Just add it to juice or water.
Another top choice for Vitamin C as a remedy is Mary Ruth’s Vitamin C drops. It’s a liquid and vegan-friendly formula that is made with organic ingredients, cold-pressed juices, and plant extracts.
5. Consume Garlic: A member of the allium family, garlic has antiviral properties that can help fight colds and flu. It also contains compounds that have anti-inflammatory effects, making it a great cold and flu remedy. If you can’t eat garlic, then take it as a supplement. Our favorite is Puritan’s Pride garlic oil – because it’s a trusted brand, and convenient odorless beadlets. The label says for adults only, but I’ve given it to my 10-year-old, no more than once daily.
6. Honey: Raw, unpasteurized honey is another cold and flu remedy that has been shown to reduce the symptoms of colds and flus. Try adding a teaspoon of honey to your tea or other hot beverage for relief from cold and flu symptoms. Or just take a spoonful of honey and let it slowly slide down a sore throat. Top brands from moms include Really Raw Honey which is a bit thicker and includes a top layer of the honey comb, and Nate’s Raw & Unfiltered Honey.
7. Humidifier: Keeping the air in your home moist helps keep cold and flu viruses from taking hold. A humidifier is a great cold and flu remedy for keeping the air around you moist, which can help reduce cold and flu symptoms. Easy to use humidifiers include Honeywell and the Everlasting Cool Mist. PurSteam is another trusted humidifer that provides advanced options such as humidity control.
8. Diffuser with essential oils: Diffusing essential oils like eucalyptus, lavender or peppermint can help you breathe easier and reduce cold and flu symptoms. The aromatherapy from the essential oils can also help you relax and reduce stress, which helps keep your immune system strong.
9. Warm bath: A warm bath is a great cold and flu remedy to help you relax and soothe away cold and flu symptoms. Add some eucalyptus essential oil or Epsom salts to the water for extra relief from cold and flu symptoms.
10. Salt Water Gargle: Salt water is one of the oldest cold and flu remedies around. Mix 1/4 teaspoon of salt into 8 ounces of warm water and gargle several times a day. It can help to reduce inflammation and irritants in the throat that cause cold and flu symptoms.
11. Hot Compress Over the Chest: Placing a hot compress over your chest can help relieve cold and flu symptoms as well. The heat helps to break up mucus while the moisture keeps airways moist, helping to clear out cold and flu germs.
12. Rest: Getting plenty of rest is one of the most important cold and flu remedies. When the body is tired, it’s more vulnerable to cold and flu viruses, so make sure you get enough sleep during cold and flu season.
More Remedies for Flu & Cold
In addition to natural home remedies, no list would be complete without trusted over-the-counter medicine. In our family we reach for the natural solutions first. But many times over-the-counter can help manage symptoms and help you and your family feel better while your body heals.
So check out the list we have of Mom’s Favorite Remedies for Flu & Cold, and take the time to stock up on cold and flu remedies before cold and flu season hits!