Hey mom boss, you know you need to declutter your office, but does the thought of it make you cringe? Do you sit in your desk chair and get consumed by documents, files, and junk in every nook, crevice, and corner? We get it, life moves pretty fast and it’s tough to keep up with all of the challenges of a family, and running a work at home business, and on top of that keeping your work area clean.
So how can a busy mom declutter her home office?
If you’re reading this article you’ve probably read the book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing – by Marie Kondo. If not, get it here on Amazon because every mom needs that in her collection. If you’re read the book then you already know that clutter kills efficiency. Yet you can’t get life to slow down long enough to declutter your office. Or can you?
We’ve put together these easy tips to declutter your office in as little time as possible. So you can clear the clutter, and get back to the really important things in your life.
The fist time you go through these steps it may take you a while, BUT it will be well worth it! And the more you do these steps the more they will be like second-nature. Months from now as you fly through your work because your office looks so great , you will wonder how you ever survived in the clutter.
Let’s dive in…
Creating Your Clutter-Free Home Office
1. Keep only what you need. For one week write down everything you actually use to run your business or do your job. At the end of the week look at your list. Then remove from your work area anything that is not on the list because it is probably not anything crucial to your success. This may mean putting certificates and awards into a special file instead of on your desk. Or it could mean giving up the 20-bajillion pens you have when really you just need a couple.
2. Set your desk for your success. Look at your work area and think of how you work every day. Does your current desk make sense for your daily workflow? The more you use something, the closer it should be to you. The less you use something, the further away it can be or even tucked away in a drawer. You may want to consider moving a few things around. Or maybe you want to add all-in-one units such as a scanner-printer-fax to save space.
3. Create a filing system for documents. Paper is often the worst clutter culprit. Find a way to organize your papers and you’ll more than likely cut your clutter in half. This can be as simple as having “in”, “out”, and “to be submitted” boxes using desk trays like these from Acrimet. Or kick things up a notch and get a desk organizer like this one from Wooden-Life. Getting the paperwork off the desk will change the entire feel and look of your area.
4. Empty your garbage bin at least once a day. You probably already do this but if not, try to do it every day or every other day at the very least. Also it’s a good idea to make sure your wastebasket is big enough to hold all of the trash so that it doesn’t pile up in other areas instead.
5. Put stuff away daily. Every morning make it a habit to put away (or toss) 5-10 things that are not in the ideal location. You can use this strategy anywhere — in your home, in the cars and truck, or at work — and you’ll discover a big difference. If you’re rather inspired, try getting rid of 20 or more pieces of clutter. If you spend just 10-15 minutes doing this every day you’d be amazed at how clutter-free your office can be.
6. Quick clean once a week. Wipe down all surfaces. Clean your keyboard with canned air. You can even use air freshener on your seat cushion.
Computer De-Clutter Tips for Your Home Office
Having virtual clutter on your computer will slow you down and sidetrack you just as much as having real clutter in your workplace. Ensure that your computer system is clutter-free, too! It’s simple to save everything on your computer, however it still counts as mess, despite the fact that it’s virtual. Here are some quick tips to clear the clutter from your computer.
- Get rid of any unused icons from your desktop
- Empty your recycle bin daily
- Check for viruses and spyware once a week using a program like CleanMyMac.
It might take some time and effort to get rid of the mess and keep it that way but it is well worth it. You’ll feel better, find things faster, and get more done in less time.
A clutter-free office really is a more productive office. You need to make sure you implement one or all of these strategies so you can maintain a clutter-free office, day in and day out. It may take some time and effort to get rid of the clutter and keep it that way, but the work will be well worth it because you’ll feel better, find things faster, and get a whole lot more done in less time.