Events have been cancelled. Outings are on hold. Schools are closed for weeks. Panic is in the air.
Daily we are receiving the increasing number of people affected by the deadly disease. Fear over the Coronavirus is trending worldwide. It’s understandable. The media doesn’t help the situation.
We are in the middle of a storm. This is a storm that has taken the world by surprise; no one was prepared for it. And now that WHO has declared this a pandemic it seems we are justified to worry about our children and their future.
It’s easy to worry
Over the past few months, God has impressed upon my heart the importance of peace. You see, worry comes like second nature to me. Worry is easy for most moms, to be honest.
But God has been teaching me about peace. And clearly He was preparing me for such a time as this.
You see as a mom of a 5-year-old and 4-month-old baby there’s always something to worry about. When l was pregnant with my second baby, my pregnancy was declared high risk due to a previous medical condition with high blood pressure.
The doctors advised me to buy a blood pressure machine to monitor myself daily. I couldn’t do it. I told them so. I was going to trust God and choose peace even when it was easy to be worried. And that’s when the Holy Spirit started really teaching me to practice peace over worry in every situation.
Then the pandemic hit us
Now with my beautiful baby girl, the pandemic decided to hit us. The coronavirus has hit us hard in the Middle East and almost everywhere in the world.
And it’s so easy to worry about both my children especially the baby. Her immune system is still weak.
It’s been a fight, but I’ve been choosing to hold on to the peace of God over the worry that comes so easily.
There is one BIG misconception about what it means to not worry and be a peaceful mom:
- It doesn’t mean ignoring the situation. No-in fact, we are taking precautions that are being given by the medical professionals to fight the coronavirus.
It means not panicking and having inner peace that God is in control and will take care of us, even as we go through this storm.
I see this is an opportunity
As a believer l see this as an opportunity. It’s an opportunity to practice my faith and show where my treasure is and who I trust. Do I trust in my money, my ability, my strength or do I really trust in the one true, all powerful God? It’s a question we should all ask ourselves at this time.
So how can we as moms choose to be peaceful in the middle of the pandemic?
My Top 6 Tips to choose peace over worry, even with the reality of the coronavirus
- Pray the word of God. Pray for protection. Pray for the sick. Pray for God to take control of the situation.
- Psalm 91 is a great chapter to pray every night. Praying the word of God is not passive, it’s very active because the word of God is living and active (Hebrews 4:12)
- When you pray, you give your worries to someone who cares and that’s God. 1 Peter 5:7 says “casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you”.
- There are things you can control and things you can’t control.
- What you can’t control is the spread of the coronavirus. It’s other people’s reactions and panic. What you can’t control is the immense coverage and focus from the media about this issue.
- What you can control is your attitude towards it. You can choose to focus on being a peaceful mom over being a worried mom. You can choose to focus on Jesus Christ, the author and finisher of our faith.
3. Choose to be different
- Here is the thing: we need to stand out and be different as children of God. We can’t worry about the very same things the world worries about. We need to be full of hope and faith at this time.
- We need to lean on Jesus Christ, the source of our peace. And the peace that He gives is not like the peace of this world. It’s not dependant on stocking up our houses with all essentials that we need for the next month. It’s an inner calm in the midst of chaos. It’s a supernatural peace.
4. Have church at home
- We don’t stay in a Christian nation. We’ve had to be intentional about teaching our 5 year old daughter about God’s word. We’ve introduced church at home.
- And even though it’s not perfect (focus with a 5 year old can be a challenge) but my daughter loves it and she looks forward to it. We make her choose a song that we all sing, we read from her children’s Bible and we are teaching her the Lord ’s Prayer.
- One thing we need to learn in this pandemic is that God is not only found in church. He is everywhere.
- We can tend to limit God to a church building and He is much bigger than that
- Church is: Prayer, Praise and Worship, God’s word, Fellowship. We are the church. Not the building. Create the same church atmosphere at home.
- There are a lot of great resources on the internet that you can use to teach your children the Word of God. One excellent resource that l recommend is https://truewaykids.com/.
- Having church at home is one of my simple and easy secrets to spiritual growth which you can read about here.
5. Be thankful
- An attitude of gratitude will go a long way in helping us to be peaceful moms. For some of us, we’re getting much needed rest, quality time with our family and time to connect with God. That’s amazing!
- Yes we would have never chosen this situation but it’s here. So instead of worrying all day about it, let’s choose to focus on the good that God has done and continues to do in our live.
- To be alive, healthy and with our families is a blessing in itself.
- As Christians we always ask ourselves the question: what is the will of God in this situation. Well, 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says ‘in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.’
- So even during this pandemic we can choose to do God’s will and be thankful.
6. Remember God is always with you
- The last promise Jesus Christ left us before He ascended back to heaven is in Matthew 28:20b “ and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age. Amen”.
- He promised to never leave me nor forsake me. He won’t leave you nor forsake you as long as you put your trust in Him. He is faithful to fulfil all His promises to us.
These 5 Powerful Verses are great to memorise and to hold onto as you choose to be a peaceful mom in the middle of the pandemic
2 Timothy 1: 7 “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. “
Psalm 46: 1 “God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. “
Isaiah 41: 10 “Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. “
Philippians 4: 6-7 “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. “
Psalm 56:3 “Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You.”
My Encouragement to you
The storms of life will come and go but the peace of God prevails. You know why? Jesus Christ in the Prince of Peace. He is the source of peace. He is Peace himself. Even during this pandemic, we can rise up as moms and as God’s children and be peaceful.
God will guide you. He will guard you. When you put your trust in Him, He will not disappoint you. Give Him thanks for all He has brought you through. He has done it before. He will do it again. He is faithful.
The peace that God gives is like the peace that a baby has inside their mommy’s tummy. The baby is hidden from anything the mom may go through. She is safe. That baby has no worry. I look at my baby and l’m inspired. She is at peace because she knows her parents are taking care of her and her needs. She has no worry. This is the same peace God wants us to have.
Lord Jesus, l thank you that you are the Prince of peace. Right now I’m worried about__, ___, ____. I choose to give these worries to you. I choose peace. I choose your word. Help me to walk in peace from this moment onwards, no matter what may come my way.
In Jesus’ name l pray. Amen.
If you’re looking for a great resource to help you during this time, you can download my free printable ‘The Ultimate Guide to Ditch Worry and Embrace Peace’ today. Click here to download it.