I think we have all had those moments when you feel like God isn’t listening and we wonder why, and we wonder what to do when God isn’t listening.
If we are honest we can admit we have all been in that space at one point or another in our lives. We may be facing a struggle, or a life challenge and we really need His help and guidance yet we feel like our prayers are falling on deaf ears.
I’ve been down this road many times. But what if what we want isn’t really what is best for us and God’s silence is actually saving us?
My Epiphany About God While Making Coffee
During the week I make regular ol’ coffee from a regular coffee pot. On the weekends I like to take a little extra time and make really good coffee from a French Press and add in extra ingredients like cocoa. A French Press is a coffee carafe that allows you to pour in hot water over coffee grounds, let it brew and then plunger a mesh screen to extract the coffee. Because it is a longer process there are more oils extracted from the coffee creating a richer flavor.
Every weekend the my two boys – ages six and eight – beg me to try the cocoa out of the container. I usually say “no – you’re not going to like it.” This weekend I finally agreed.
Both boys came to the counter, eyes bright, smiles big, so excited to finally get the taste of the pure dark cocoa powder they’d always wanted.
Now, if you’ve ever had straight pure cocoa powder you know it tastes nothing like actual chocolate. It’s dry. It’s a little bitter.
I gave each of them about 1/8 of a teaspoon. Just small enough for them to experience it. Their eyes closed, their smiles drew downward and they both immediately spit it into the garbage and reached for water.
I asked (between giggles) “ok now what have you learned?”
They looked at me puzzled and wide-eyed. I said “sometimes what we want & desire, isn’t what we need. And sometimes what we want actually isn’t that great when we get it. So be satisfied with what you have.”
I think sometimes this happens in our Faith. I know I’ve been disappointed when I’ve prayed on a problem or situation and it seems like God just isn’t listening to me. Just like with my kids and the cocoa, it’s hard to sometimes fathom that a “no” is actually to my greater benefit.
When it feels like God isn’t listening He may actually be saving us from ourselves. Saving us from our own desires that will lead us astray and potentially not turn out well. When we get into those moments where we feel like God isn’t listening we need to trust Him even more. We need to take rest in knowing that He is in control and knows what He is doing. So how do we do that?
What To Do When You Feel God Isn’t Listening
Sometimes it feels as though we are shouting through a microphone to God – yet He doesn’t hear our prayers. So let’s talk about what to do when you feel like God isn’t listening.
Bible Verses When You Feel Like God Isn’t There
We all have days or even weeks or months when we feel like God isn’t there, or like God isn’t listening. Even major figures in the Bible had moments like these.
Here are ten Bible verses you can turn to, study and hold dear when you feel like God isn’t there for you. Let them comfort you and assure you that He is at work.
- “Those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.” – Psalm 9:10 If you are honestly seeking God then He will never forsake you.
- “But from there you will seek the LORD your God and you will find him, if you search after him with all your heart and with all your soul.” – Deuteronomy 4:29 It takes great effort on your part to seek God but the Bible says you will be rewarded for that effort.
- “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” – Hebrews 13:5 Become content with God and He will never leave you.
- “Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.” – James 4:8 As you draw closer to Him then He in turn will draw closer to you. What are you not doing right now that you could be doing more of to get closer to God?
- “The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge” – Psalm 46:7 The God of the entire universe stands beside you and will help you!
- The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. – Psalms 34:18 When we are at our weakest moment, God is near us.
- All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. – John 6:37 If you have given your heart to Jesus you can be sure he will never push you away.
- “For the LORD will not forsake his people; he will not abandon his heritage” – Psalm 94:14 It is God’s desire and intention to save you, not to abandon you.
- Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. – Revelation 3:20 Jesus knocks at the heart of your door. Do you hear Him? Have you invited Him in lately?
- “Teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” – Matthew 28:20 If you are His follower, Christ has said He will not leave you.