I’ve been working from home full-time for almost a decade and before that, I provided freelance services while holding down a full-time corporate job. I love that working from home is so versatile. Anyone can work from home in any number of ways. We are in an age of opportunity where it has never been easier to earn an income from home. I’m this article I am going to share with you some of the many ways I’ve earned an income working from home.
For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Jamie and I’ve been growing my businesses while growing my babies for nearly a decade. Over the past ten years I’ve generated generous incomes in Network Marketing, Blogging and Graphic Design from home while raising two little boys.
Over the past two decades I’ve also earned additional income writing books, providing voice-over talent, appearing in commercials, taking online surveys, being a brand ambassador and so much more.
What is working from home?
I feel like we hear “work at home” a lot but not many people really know what it means to work from home. Before I started working from home I had no idea what it meant to work from home. Let me share with you what I’ve learned.
There are two types of income you can generate working from home. There is active income and passive income.
Active income is what most people are familiar with because it is similar to how most jobs work. Active income is providing a service or product in exchange for money. Examples of active income are Graphic Design, being a Virtual Assistant or taking online surveys with companies like SwagBucks.
Passive income is different than active income in that you usually perform a service once and receive compensation multiple times. This is also known as Residual Income. Examples of Passive Income are Network Marketing, Blogging, Writing a Book or Selling a Course.
When I first started working from home everything I did was active income. Over the years I have transitioned to Passive Income because I prefer the flexibility it offers. Imagine setting up a customer, writing a blog post, putting out a book or a course and getting paid for that again and again and again. That is the power of Passive (Residual) Income.
Bottom line, working from home can be as simple or complex as you want it to be. You can earn a few bucks a week or a few thousand, it’s your decision.
How to get started working from home
Before you ever start working from home you have to decide exactly what you want to get out of it and what will coincide best with your lifestyle. Answer these quick questions.
- Decide how much income you’d like to make. You can supplement your current income, replace your current income, or multiply your income. Which appeals to you?
- How many hours each week do you have to devote to your business?
- What are your strengths?
- Do you already have a talent such as being a graphic designer? If so then that is where you might want to start. That’s what I did. I worked as a Graphic Designer for several years and provided freelance work on the side. You can find freelance gigs at placed such as Upwork, eLance,
- Do you enjoy talking with people, love learning and want to grow quickly? You may want to consider a path in Network Marketing. I feel backwards into Network Marketing and I absolutely love it. Network Marketing allowed me to replace and multiply my income and build a work at home life I love. Want to get started in Network Marketing? Just use the Contact page of this website to send a message and connect with me.
- Do you like writing? You may want to consider starting a blog, authoring a book or becoming a ghost writing or blog contributor.
- Do you love giving your opinion? Consider taking online surveys with companies like SwagBucks. You will not get rich with this solution but you can make some extra gas money.
What do you need to work from home?
In most cases, to work from home you need a smart phone, notebook and pen. You may also find it useful to have a laptop.
The most important thing you need is a strong mindset and determination to succeed. There will be ups and downs in your journey working from home no matter what you choose to do. Some paths are harder than others. There may be moments you want to quit and your mindset will determine if you win or fail.
How to be successful working from home
I’ve been working from home for almost two decades, and full-time for nearly ten years. There are a lot of things I wish I had known when I first started to help me be successful working from home. I’ve listed a few here and put more into the article The Best Advice I Wish I Had Gotten Before Starting My Business.
- Grow your mindset – as I stated above your mindset will determine your success. Just like the late Henry Ford once said, “whether you think you can or think you can’t you are right.”
Many people fail before they ever start because they simply don’t believe in themselves. So the first step is believing in yourself. There are lots of great articles, books and other material on this topic but perhaps one of the most well-known and helpful is the book The Secret – buy it here. You can also watch the movie version of The Secret – check it out here.
- Connect with a Mentor – the fastest way to success is to follow the path of those who are already where you want to be.
Success leaves clues!
Success doesn’t just happen – it is created. Get a mentor! This can be someone you personally connect with and check in with or it can be someone you follow online such as myself. Whomever you decide on, do what they do to get what they’ve got.
- Use Your Time Wisely – this is perhaps the biggest tip I can give, especially if you are working from home with children. Get organized, create a plan and don’t waste time. Trust me it can be so easy to get sucked into social media, or on a call with a client or team member, or organizing your office. Don’t fall into this trap because it is the quickest way to losing money and your dreams!
Need more help? Try setting a timer for each activity you do. This will keep you on target and more productive!
- Not everyone will get you and that is okay. Contrary to popular belief, working at home is not just sitting in your PJs eating Bon-Bons. Honestly I have met some moms who work in traditional jobs who get mad because I have it “so easy.”
True, I do have it somewhat easy in that I get to make my own hours, but this journey has not been without struggle. These struggles are just different than struggles of the moms working traditional jobs. Remember that not everyone will like your decision to work from home. Not everyone will like you. That’s ok. Show up, do your best, forget the rest.
Common Questions/FAQ About Working From Home
Can anyone work from home?
- Yes! That is the beauty of working from home. Anyone can do it as long as they are committed to making it happen.
How do I find legitimate work from home opportunities?
- If you are looking to create active income through service-based activities then you’ll want to check out job boards such as Upwork and SimplyHired.
- If you are wanting to create passive income in Network Marketing, then contact me and let’s see if we are a fit to work together.
How can I start in Network Marketing?
- First you need to find a product or company you are passionate about and to do that just think of what lights you up. For instance, I personally love toxic free and chemical-free products. I’m passionate about using products that don’t contain harsh ingredients. Because I love to live clean I partnered with a company that promotes a live clean lifestyle and incredible products. If that interests you too then please message me so we can see if you are a good fit for our team.
How do I avoid work from home scams?
- There are scams in any field and just like with anything else it can be easy to spot a scam when things just don’t add up. For example, never send money without talking to a live person first. When you talk with that live person, ask for references of other people that have done well. You can also ask for credentials of the business, any awards they have won or print materials they can offer you for review.
The Last Thing You Need to Know about Working from Home
Working from home isn’t for everyone. It takes dedication and commitment to find success in working from home. To work from home you also need to have a mindset that you will win and succeed.
If you got value from this post please share it with anyone else who can use it today or consider posting it to social media. Please comment below with what you found most valuable in this article.
You’re so very welcome!
You’re very welcome! Just keep taking it day by day. I started out doing freelance on the side for many years before making the jump to working from home full-time. Since then I’ve had the fortune to do a lot of things but only because I didn’t give up. Just by not giving up you’ve taken a very big step! Keep it up!
You’re very welcome!
Thank you Hannah! Honestly the hardest part is just getting started so congrats on taking that first big step!!
These are amazing tips for anyone starting out working from home. Or for anyone wanting to change their work
I currently have a 5 week old and the thought of putting him in daycare so young kills me! I’ve been looking into work at home jobs. Thanks for all the tips!
This is such an informative post! I work from home and am trying to establish more clients to earn more. I’ll definitely take on board your tips.
Thanks for the tips! I just started a blog and right now it is a dream that it could become real income… but I am looking into making it reality! Also I love your blog name- Momalot!
I haven’t began working from home but I have always wanted to. Thanks for the tips on how to get started!
This is my goal, sometimes i am so tired working for my company everyday. I am still looking for opportunities work at home. Thank you for share
I think having a good and peaceful work space for working at home is helpful as well.
Great tips! I’m
Working to build my businesses from
Home too. Your helpful tips are appreciated.
Great post! I’m working to build my businesses from home too, and your helpful tips are appreciated!
This is a great post! Wonderful and useful tips. It is so wonderful seeing other moms who have been able to make money from home!
It is so wonderful to have multiple income streams when you’re working for yourself. Like you, my work-from-home income is a mix of the active and the passive. Thanks for passing on some ideas for work I hadn’t explored yet!
You’re welcome Sydney! Congrats on your work at home business.
Love this! Such great tips and good to know for those starting out in their work-from-home lifestyle. Thanks for sharing! 🙂
Comments are closed.